History And Politics Trips To Athens
Organise a History trip to Athens like no other! Discover ancient ruins & mythology with visits to museums, archaeological sites & more. Plan a field trip now!
Educational trip to Athens
Where better to take your History students than Athens, one of the oldest cities in the world? With the majestic Acropolis standing proudly above it, Athens is home to numerous ancient ruins, museums and archaeological sites – perfect for budding adventurers and historians! Oh, and the traditions and culture of this charming city make it even more attractive. What are you waiting for? Plan a study trip to Athens today!
Touch down in sunny Athens and drop your bags at your chosen accommodation. Now it’s time to do some exploring! Take to the streets of this beautiful city, passing through Syntagma Square, Monastiraki and Plaka. You’ll soon notice the mix of historical buildings, traditional culture and contemporary vibes that make Athens such a special place to visit!
Give your students some time to absorb their new surroundings (and hopefully the lovely Greek sunshine!) before enjoying some delicious food and local music at one of the picturesque tavernas.
Your travel itinerary could look like...
- Touch down in sunny Athens and drop your bags at your chosen accommodation. Now it’s time to do some exploring! Take to the streets of this beautiful city, passing through Syntagma Square, Monastiraki and Plaka. You’ll soon notice the mix of historical buildings, traditional culture and contemporary vibes that make Athens such a special place to visit!
- Give your students some time to absorb their new surroundings (and hopefully the lovely Greek sunshine!) before enjoying some delicious food and local music at one of the picturesque tavernas.
- Get ready for a half-day guided tour of Athens! Hop on your coach and see some of the most popular hotspots, including the Acropolis, Hadrian’s Gate, the Temple of Olympian Zeus, Ancient Agora, the Temple of Hephaestus, the Panathenaic Stadium and the Greek Parliament (with the added bonus of seeing the changing of the Guard!).
- Continue your adventure by circling back to the Acropolis and exploring on foot. Marvel at the Parthenon, the Temple of Athena Nike, the Theatre of Herodes Atticus and the Theater of Dionysus, while learning more about excavation efforts over the years. The best part? You’ll get to enjoy the breath-taking views of Athens from the summit of the Acropolis.
- After a spot of lunch, don’t miss the New Acropolis Museum – it has a full exhibition of every artefact found on the rock and its surrounding slopes. If you’d prefer, head to the National Archaeological Museum of Athens to see the world’s richest collection of ancient Greek art. Aspiring archaeologists will be stunned by the many ancient statues, pottery, jewellery, weapons and utensils on display (but it’s pretty interesting for everyone!).
- You’ll spend the day on a guided coach excursion to Delphi, the site of the famous Oracle of Delphi and now a UNESCO World Heritage Site. Your group will be transported back to ancient Greece with tours of the Temple of Apollo, the ancient theatre, the stadium, the Kastalia Spring and the Sanctuary of Athena Pronaia. It’s hard to believe you’re still in the 21st Century!
- Afterwards, visit the Archaeological Museum of Delphi to view the incredible artefacts that have been excavated from the area. Be wowed by the spectacular bronze statue of the Charioteer and the Naxian Sphinx – it’s worth the visit just for these!
- The day isn’t over just yet! After dinner, stroll around one of the livelier areas of Athens like Karameikos, Psyri or Ermou – the atmosphere is unbeatable.
- Another guided tour this morning, this one to Mycenae! Take in the remnants of the Palace, where Agamemnon was murdered by his wife and her lover after he returned victorious from the Trojan War. After leaving the murder scene, make your way to the Mycenean Acropolis with its awe-inspiring Lion Gate and the Tholos Tombs – history really does feel tangible here!
- Continue your tour with a trip to the world-famous Ancient Theatre of Epidaurus (the acoustics and symmetry here are impeccable!), then visit the Sanctuary of Asclepios, the god of healing in the ancient world.
- Swing by Nafplio to finish your day – a beautiful seaside town where you simply have to enjoy the delicious Greek cuisine! If you have time, climb the Palamidi Fortress for amazing views of the town. You’ll never get tired of the scenery here!
- There are still a few hours left until your flight home, so take advantage of this time to do some souvenir shopping or more exploration of Athens – savour every last moment!
- Alternatively, why not visit Cape Sounio before heading to the airport? Located on the southernmost tip of the Attica peninsula, the site boasts the ruins of the Temple of Poseidon. You can almost sense the god’s presence when you’re surrounded on three sides by the sea. Is there a more apt way to end your history trip to Athens than this?
- 5-day study trip to Athens, Greece
- From £504
- Possible highlights: Tour of Athens, including the Acropolis, the Parthenon, Hadrian’s Gate, Temple of Olympian Zeus, Ancient Agora, Athens Panathenaic Stadium, and the Greek Parliament, Delphi Archaeological Site and Museum, Mycenae Archaeological Site and Tomb of Agamemnon, Epidaurus Ancient Theatre, Town of Nafplio
- Return flights
- Overseas airport transfers (if applicable)
- 4 nights’ accommodation
- Pre-departure teacher pack
- 24-hour emergency service
- Free trip-leader place options
Why not add…
- Meal options
- Day trip to Olympia
- Cruise to Hydra, Spetses and Aegina
- Cape Sounio for Poseidon Temple
- Corinth Canal
- Ancient Greek drama workshop
Why choose us?
- Fully accredited and financially protected
- Knowledgeable and experienced staff
- Regional Educational Development Execs to support all stages of the trip process
- Customer portal and app for when you’re on the move
- 24hr support
Make an enquiry...
You're in safe hands when you book with us. Our Flexibility Promise means that you can still book for future study trips, while feeling reassured that we'll do our utmost to support you through any changing circumstances.