Take your Religious Studies class on a trip to Thessaloniki, Northern Greece! Visit sacred places & historical locations for an engaging study trip.
Educational trip to Thessaloniki
Escape the classroom and revive your students’ love of learning with a study trip to Thessaloniki and Northern Greece! This area is teeming with museums, ruins, and places of religious significance, not to mention jaw-dropping scenery (monasteries balancing on top of towering rocks? Yes please!). It’s the ideal spot for Religious Studies students, so start planning today!
Your travel itinerary could look like...
- Touch down in Thessaloniki and drop your bags at your accommodation. It’s time to explore! Use the rest of the day to wander around this lively city, taking in the impressive port, historic buildings and general bustle around you.
- Make your way along the cobbled streets to a local taverna, where you’ll dig into your first traditional meal of the trip.
- Spend the morning getting to know your surroundings on a walking tour of Thessaloniki. This beautiful city has more than 2,500 years of history and was an important hub during the Roman, Ottoman and Byzantine Empire era. Explore UNESCO World Heritage-listed Byzantine churches, the 4th-century AD Rotunda, the Arch of Galerius, the crypt of Saint Demetrius, the Greek Agora and Roman Forum, the iconic White Tower and Aristotelous Square.
- Refuel with some lunch, then visit the Archaeological Museum to admire the rare exhibits on display. The Museum of Byzantine Culture is also worth a visit – marvel at the early Christian, Byzantine, medieval and post-Byzantine antiquities housed here!
- Enjoy a stroll by the famous seafront or a boat ride around the sparkling Gulf of Thermaikos. End your culture-filled day with some delicious Greek food at one of the many beautiful restaurants of Ano Poli – the views over the city are stunning!
- Head off early for an archaeological expedition in Northern Greece! First stop is Pella, which was formerly the kingdom of ancient Macedonia and the birthplace of Great Alexander. Be sure to appreciate the intricate mosaics that once adorned the floors, paying particular attention to the ones illustrating the Abduction of Helen, Rapture and the Deer Hunt.
- Squeeze in a visit to Veria before lunch, where your group can see the altar of Apostle Paul and admire the oldest Synagogue in the Balkans.
- Tuck into lunch at a taverna, then off you go again! Head to Vergina and the Museum of the Royal Tombs at Aigai, where you’ll find the tomb of King Phillip II (Alexander the Great’s father) and many more Macedonian Royal Tombs.
- Return to Thessaloniki and relax after your busy day!
- Your group is in for a treat today – you’re going on a full day tour of Meteora! This UNESCO World Heritage site is also one of the world’s most significant holy places and its beauty is breath-taking. Marvel at the six sandstone monasteries balancing atop towering rocks. Why not hike along one of the trails with a local guide?
- To make the most of the ethereal scenery, enjoy dinner at a local restaurant with spectacular views. It doesn’t get much better than this! Spend the night in Kalambaka, a small town overlooking Meteora.
- It’s the final day, but there’s still time to fit in some more sightseeing! Depending on your flight times, you could drive into the Pindos Mountains to Metsovo. This village is renowned for its agriculture and artisan products – perfect for picking up some last-minute souvenirs!
- Alternatively, drive to the foothills of Mount Olympus to see the famed home of the Greek gods. Wander through the quaint village of Palaios Panteleimon for a spot of lunch, then end your trip with a drive past the castle of Platamonas and the glittering Aegean Sea.
- 5-day study trip to Thessaloniki, Northern Greece
- From £360
- Possible highlights: Guided tour of Thessaloniki, UNESCO World Heritage-listed Byzantine churches, White Tower of Thessaloniki, Meteora, Kalambaka, Tomb of King Phillip II, Museum of Vergina, Veria town, altar of Apostle Paul, archaeological site of Pella, the birthplace of Great Alexander, Mount Olympus, village of Metsovo
- Return flights from UK regional airport
- Overseas transfers
- 4 nights’ accommodation
- Pre-departure teacher pack
- 24-hour emergency service
- Free trip-leader place options
- Travel insurance
Why not add…
- Meal options
- Day trip to Kavala and ancient city of Philippi
- Day trip to lakeside town of Kastoria and boat ride on Prespa Lakes
Why choose us?
- Fully accredited and financially protected
- Knowledgeable and experienced staff
- Regional Educational Development Execs to support all stages of the trip process
- Customer portal and app for when you’re on the move
- 24hr support
Make an enquiry...
You're in safe hands when you book with us. Our Flexibility Promise means that you can still book for future study trips, while feeling reassured that we'll do our utmost to support you through any changing circumstances.